$4.95 All-U-Can Ship

Friday, February 24, 2012

Spring Sensory Bins

Weather Sensory Bin
What are you guys doing this weekend? With the Spring weather that has arrived where I live, I am totally into bringing Spring into my house.

On the weekends, my boys tend to get restless. Jonah has severe asthma, so he cannot go outside for long...30 minutes is the max without him starting to wheeze! So I'm always trying to find things that they can do inside without fighting!

One of the things they enjoy is when I pull out the sensory bin. Right now, ours is filled with army men and different cereals...with cinnamon, nutmeg, and some other spices sprinkled on top. But it is time to change things up and I love these ideas for different Spring Sensory Bins!
Rainbow Rice
 I love the colored rice...this could be a possible project. All you need is rice (not the instant cook kind) and food coloring. Just separate the rice into as many different ziplock bags as the colors you want. Get the kids to shake the bags after a couple of drops of food coloring in each bag. Easy, kid friendly, and it will last quite a while.


A trip to the $1 Store would easily take our sensory bin to Ireland, celebrating St. Patrick's Day. Just look around the house and see what you could add...gold coins, plastic spoons...kids could even play with green items in it.
St. Patrick's Day Sensory Bin
Bunny Sensory Bin



Aren't these easter ones cute? I can't tell you how many easter eggs and how much easter grass I have. It's crazy! What a great way to use them, too.!

Spring Sensory Bin

Gardening Sensory Bin

This gardening one I am really "digging"...sorry, bad pun! i just helped my youngest do some planting for a pizza garden (upcoming post!) so I know how much he would like this. 

Have you ever used a sensory bin with your kids? Do they love them as much as mine? Even the local Children's Museums are now using sensory bins. They aren't just for kids with sensory needs. The Montessori schools and teaching uses sensory bins as a way to experience themes, units, and ideas in a "whole." 




You can visit the wonderful moms that originally created these sensory bins as well as many other ideas. Link up your blog post or your Pinterest idea for sensory ideas for your kids...or for Spring.






2 comments:

  1. I couldn't figure out how to navigate your blog but I wanted to know how old your children are. My son is 3 and was diagnosed with autism and always find it neat to hear others autism journeys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you had trouble navigating my blog...let me know what you had the most trouble with so I can make adjustments. I have 3 kids: 14 yr. old daughter, 10 yr. old son, and a 7 yr. old son. My 10 yr. old is the one with Asperger's, but he was not diagnosed until the end of 1st grade. He also is severely ADHD, has sensory processing disorder, auditory processing disorder, and anxiety issues. I'm always here to talk or if you have any questions. I think I've been through just about everything!

      Delete